Sunday, April 23, 2017

Dueling Game v11

Hail, Wanderers!

Version 11 of the Dueling Game is up here.

I've changed the text colors for Damage, Balance, and Stamina in the end of turn readout to reflect the colors of the associated gauges and have also made it possible to play almost the entire game without the mouse.

Barring bug fixes or other necessary changes that come to light as the game sees more use, this will probably be the final version for the game. I may put some time into making the UI look a little better, but art honestly isn't my forte and I'd just as soon spend the time working in other areas.

On that note, I'll most likely be switching to another project from here on out. I will also likely come back to make a more refined version of the Dueling Game, one that hopefully comes closer to the intended experience of the game and that makes use of the lessons I learned this time around, but for now I'm going to put time into another project.

There won't be a downloadable version of said project for a while, but expect updates as usual. I'll probably post more on the design side of things each week, and try to make up for the lack of a playable game with more detailed documentation of the design process.

In any event, it's been nice to get back into this on a more serious level. I haven't been able to invest as much time into my design work as I'd like, and I feel like the developments to the Dueling Game took longer than they should have for how much the game has changed, but I'm happy (if not quite satisfied) with my work regardless. I can still see areas for improvement, but I get the sense that I'd start picking at too fine a level for it to really be worth it, considering the project started as more of a prototype anyway. It is a concept I'm quite fond of, however, so I would like to craft something more worthy of its potential in the future.

Somewhat tired ramblings aside, my sincere thanks to everyone who has taken an interest in this project, from those who helped me along through the early concept phases, to a certain programmer who provided invaluable help both with advice and encouragement, to those who spotted it while passing through my corner of the internet (so to speak) and gave the project a look. Thank you all, and I hope you've enjoyed following and playing the game as much as I've enjoyed the process of crafting it.

With warm regards, and as always, until next time!
Charles (Guardian Soul)

No comments:

Post a Comment